When you need the perfect background or perfect colors you can always create your own background for cards! It’s so easy, and you could make multiple backgrounds at a time to save for later too! Today I will show you how to create stamped backgrounds.
How to create stamped backgrounds
When I saw this Drybrush Cling Background Stamp I knew I had to have it. Not only is it CLING (I lub me my red rubber 💗) but it can be used in so many different ways. Today I will show you how to recreate the card from page 138 in the 2020 – 2021 Stampin’ Up! Annual Catalog. Of course, I put my own twist on it. Let me know in the comments below which version you prefer (the catalog card or mine) and why. I love hearing from you!
Coloring the Background Image
- Choose a background image. I used the Drybrush Cling Stamp
- The mat I stamped on was Whisper White Cardstock (5-3/8 X 4-1/8)
- With this particular background, you can apply color with any Stampin’ Write Markers in different areas of the stamp. This allows you to stamp a variation on your background. I used Coastal Cabana, Pear Pizzazz, and Blushing Bride. From the Subtles & Brights Stampin’ Write Marker sets.
- If you use the Stamparatus (like I did) you will find that you don’t have to worry about the ink lining up each time you stamp with a different color. Alternatively, you can color your entire background all at once then stamp it. Crossing my fingers for you that you get a good impression the first time! lol
- Set your background aside to dry completely.
Embossing the Sentiment & Flowers
- I chose to emboss the “You Are So Special” sentiment from the Tasteful Touches Stamp Set. If you grab the Tasteful Touches Bundle you will save %10 if you want the dies too. Which I use later.
- Using Versamark I stamped then embossed the sentiment on Blushing Bride Cardstock with Silver Stampin’ Emboss Powder.
- Choose where you want the flowers from the Tasteful Touches Stamp set to be placed and stamped. With the same silver embossing powder, ink (with Versamark) and emboss the flower twice on the embossed background.
- I find it helps if I lay the leaves and sentiment frames down to get a visual of where I want my flowers.
Die Cutting Elements
- You can die-cut 2 of the leaf/sprigs from the Forever Greenery Dies from Pear Pizzazz Cardstock.
- Blushing Bride Cardstock was used to die cut the embossed sentiment (above) using a die from the Tasteful Labels Dies. Use the one that fits your sentiment the best. Then choose a larger frame die and die-cut it out on Pool Party Cardstock.
Inking, Splattering and More Stamping
- Splatter a White Gouache and Frost White Shimmer Paint mixture from the spritzer stick inside the Stampin’ Spritzer Bottle on the sentiment frames. Do this to both the one you embossed and the one for the background. Set those aside to dry. (You can always skip this step, but I like the added interest and dimension it gives to my cards. You can see how I create this particular Splatter Mixture HERE)
- Using a Water Painter, apply a generous amount of diluted Pear Pizzazz Ink from the pan of your container in a random fashion to your leaves. I find it works best to start with a light concentration of ink and apply a darker concentration if needed. Pouncing the Water Brush up and down on the leaves works very well. Set the leaves aside to dry.
- Next, using the tiny background type stamp from the Tasteful Touches Stamp Set with some Blushing Bride Ink stamp on a piece of Whisper White Cardstock (5-3/8 X 4-1/8) for the inside of your card. I chose to stamp in the very center. Then I added “The good things in life are better with you” sentiment” directly over the top of the previous image. Again, in the very center of the card insert.
- You can now adhere the insert to the inside of your card base. I used Thick Whisper White Cardstock on an A2 size (5-1/2 X 4-1/4) top folding card.
A little Fussy Cutting & Assembly
- Trim the die-cut leaves down so that the bottom 2 sets of leaves are no longer attached to both die-cut pieces.
- Then fussy cut and repair the edges and stems of the pieces of leaves you removed.
- 2 of these will be placed back on the front of your card overtop of the larger leaves. 2 will be placed around the sentiment on the inside of your card.
- Arrange the leaves from the center towards the top left, and again from the center to the bottom right.
- Place some ribbon on the Pool Party frame using some Stampin’ Seal across the center. Then place dimensionals on the back of the frame.
- Using dimensionals adhere the Blushing Bride frame with the sentiment on top of the ribbon on the Pool Party Frame.
- Curl up the leaves a little to give them some added dimension. You can do this by hand. No tools are necessary.
- Finally, using liquid glue, adhere your card front to the card base! Voila! You’re done!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY INKIE FINGERS BLOG
*Get notified when I UPLOAD A BLOG POST!*
(Subscribe to Blog Posts & Newsletters. Your email will NEVER be shared)
Please use this Host Code if your Stampin’ Up! order does not exceed $199.99
(Before Tax & Shipping)
This helps support my business so I can replenish supplies and continue posting on my Blog and making YouTube Videos.
💗 I appreciate your business and support very much! 💗
DISCLAIMER: Non-Stampin’ Up! links included in this description may be affiliate links. I try to post universal links when possible. However, at times I can only find some items in Canada. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I might receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting My Inkie Fingers so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!
**Some Non-Stampin’ Up! supplies you may see me use I cannot provide links to due to conflicts of Stampin’ Up! carrying a similar item. I will mark these items with 2 asterisks if they appeared on my blog.
Until I see you again,
Happy Stamping! <3